6.10.2008

butternut squash soup with gruyere croutons

firstly, I can't take credit for this photo. it's by the amazing Deb of Smitten Kitchen - my absolute favorite food blog. I stalk her blog every time I'm making a grocery shopping list and need some new inspiration. I have raved about this recipe on more than one occasion. I could tell you how great it is ,or how I'd really eat it everyday, or how each time I've made it I proclaim, "this soup is amazing", or how it's the best soup I've ever made... but that wouldn't even begin to explain how amazingly good this soup is. the nuttiness of squash combined with the smoky flavor of cumin topped off with the ever amazing earthy, creamy flavor of Gruyère cheese... oooo la la.
it's a rainy, cold day in Portland and I'm dreaming of soup. this soup got me through Winter. so even though most of you are suffering from the heat wave that is covering most of the country, live like it's Fall or Winter and smell the cumin through the computer screen.

Butternut Squash Soup with Gruyere Croutons
adapted from Deb's recipe, originally adapted from Bon Appetite

:: for soup ::
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
3 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 1/4 tsp minced fresh thyme
1 1/4 tsp minced fresh sage
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
1/8 cup whipping cream

• melt butter in large pot over medium heat. add onion and garlic and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
• add broth, squash and herbs; bring to boil.
• reduce heat, cover and simmer until squash is very tender, about 30 minutes.
• working in batches, puree soup in blender. return soup to same pot.
• stir in cream; bring to simmer. season with salt and pepper.

can be made 1 day ahead. chill. rewarm over medium heat before serving.

:: for croutons ::
4 cups cubed bread slices
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1 tsp minced fresh thyme
1 tsp minced fresh sage
2 tbsp olive oil

• preheat broiler.
• arrange bread cubes on baking sheet.
• drizzle olive oil over top of cubes. toss with hands.
sprinkle cheese, then thyme and sage over bread cubes.
• broil until golden, about 1 minute. re-arrange cubes and broil for about 1 minute more.

• ladle soup into bowls and top with croutons. grate an additional amount of cheese on top if desired.

printer friendly PDF

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

gorgeous photo!

June 10, 2008 at 3:47 PM  
Blogger Cannelle Et Vanille said...

i don't mind if it's 90 degrees outside, i still like a good soup. this sounds and looks delicious with the gruyere... i mean, how can anyone go wrong with gruyere right?

June 10, 2008 at 3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the advantage of pureeing in blender? That sounds horribly messy. Wouldn't a blender stick work better? I've used it to make cauliflower soup and it worked well.

June 11, 2008 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger alyson. said...

sure! go for it. although, I could see a blender stick getting messy too. :)

I ladle the soup into the blender in batches, then pour it into another large bowl until I'm finished. only almost spilled once!

June 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

ohhhh. this is my hands down favorite thing to make in the fall. i always add apple and curry powder to mine. it is so homey and comforting... i just love it.

June 15, 2008 at 5:41 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

This looks delightful. It is somewhat similar to my personal favorite soup recipe (from the Inn at Little Washington cookbook).

But I'm with J. I exclusively blend soups with the wand blender now. it has more or less revolutionized my kitchen, because I used to loath the messy clean up of a regular blender.

Will give this one a try.

June 16, 2008 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, that looks amazing!

June 16, 2008 at 7:15 PM  
Blogger alice said...

That looks really good! I have bookmarked it for the next time I bring home a squash.

June 18, 2008 at 12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog features a delicious array of recipes; the way you've chosen to present your recipe collection is admirable. We'd like to pass along a gift to you; it's an acclaimed service that any cook with a recipe collection would feel honored to use. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested.

June 27, 2008 at 8:55 AM  
Blogger Bonbon Oiseau said...

Looks delicous---I want to eat it right now!

June 27, 2008 at 9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Haley, Key Ingredient's Chief Blogger. We would like to feature this recipe and photo on our blog. We realize it is taken from another source, but we'll be sure to note that...we just feel you've done a great job putting this meal together! Please email haleyglasco@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

Haley

July 16, 2008 at 12:41 PM  
Blogger Jackie Rice said...

made this tonight. it was delicious and the perfect dinner for a gray and rainy october day. thanks for the recipe!

October 6, 2008 at 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love butternut squash soup! It's one of my favorite soups ever. and gruyere croutons? I need!

October 7, 2008 at 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home