7.01.2008

grown-up veggie fajitas

when I was in college, just starting off being on my own, the first thing I learned to cook was fajitas. I had a tiny shared kitchen across the hall from my dorm room with two tiny burners and a tiny bit of counter space. I invited my friends to come over for a feast of fajitas - easy fajitas - with a package of spices, sliced up chicken breasts, and veggies galore. I even taught one of my good friends how to cook fajitas and she remembers that to this day. as I grew up, my love for fajitas or Mexican food for that matter, has never stopped. and of course it progressed into quesadilla and enchilada making too, but that's for another day.
once cooking developed into a real passion of mine, I sought out to create the best tasting fajitas. since I don't eat meat, this recipe is only with veggies, but feel free to add whatever meat of your choice. you can also substitute some meaty portabello mushrooms or tofu. whatever sounds good! this is an easy, but delicious tasting meal that is perfect for gatherings or quick dinners with the family.
Grown-Up Veggie Fajitas

:: for fajita spice ::
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1/4 tsp all spice
pinch of salt

• mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.

:: for veggies ::
2 large green peppers, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
2 large cloves of garlic
1 small yellow chili
1 tbsp olive oil
fajita spices
1/8 cup water
sour cream
6 flour tortillas - warmed up
monterey jack cheese

• heat oil on a large skillet at medium heat. {if adding meat, you can cook it in the pan with oil before you add veggies. just make sure to drain the fat off before adding veggies.}
• add veggies all at once, tossing to coat in olive oil. cook until onions are almost translucent and peppers are soft.
• add fajita spice and water. coat evenly with spices. reduce heat and cover for 5-10 minutes.
• prepare tortillas with sour cream and evenly distribute veggies in a line down the middle of the tortilla. top with cheese and roll up.

printer friendly PDF

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Cannelle Et Vanille said...

my favorite part about fajitas are the sauteed peppers and onions so this is plenty for me!

July 1, 2008 at 11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum. i love a fajita or 6! i agree with aran, i too love the saateed peppers and onions, this recipes looks delicious!

July 3, 2008 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

This looks great. And thanks for the nice printer-friendly version.

July 3, 2008 at 12:28 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

That sounds delicious! I could eat peppers and onions by the boatload!

July 12, 2008 at 9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home