2.10.2009

chocolate cream cheese cupcakes

did I mention I got muffin pans for Christmas? yea. expect to see lots of muffin/cupcake creations in the next few posts. at least until I get them all out of my system.
I've been wanting to make cupcakes for some time now. I knew the first recipe I wanted to attempt was a chocolate cupcake and I simply could not have asked for a better one. cream cheese and chocolate were meant to be together. these cupcakes are outstanding. they are moist and sweet and oh so delicious, I guarantee you'll be making more.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes
makes 12 cupcakes

:: for cupcakes ::
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cups water
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp vanilla extract

• preheat oven to 350 degrees F. line muffin cups with paper liners.
• in a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, salt and baking soda. stir in butter, water, vinegar and vanilla until blended. pour mixture into prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.

:: for cream cheese filling ::
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips

• in a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, apple sauce, agave nectar and salt until light and fluffy. stir in chocolate chips. drop a heaping teaspoonful of the cream cheese mixture into each cupcake. bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. allow to cool completely before icing.

:: for cream cheese frosting ::
4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
3 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar

• using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract in large bowl until smooth. add powdered sugar, beating until smooth.


Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, that looks delicious! I'm so glad it's dinner time :-)

February 10, 2009 at 3:49 PM  
Blogger Whitney said...

Where does one find agave nectar?

February 10, 2009 at 9:31 PM  
Blogger joey armstrong said...

that cupcake looks amazing! i will most definitely attempt it sometime, thanks for the recipe & tasteful photo.

February 10, 2009 at 10:36 PM  
Blogger alyson. said...

you can find agave nectar in the baking section at most natural food stores.

February 11, 2009 at 6:47 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

i am SO making these.
thank you!

February 11, 2009 at 8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am a total sucker for cream cheese and chocolate, gonna have to make these! i would have never thought to put apple sauce in a cupcake...

February 11, 2009 at 8:27 AM  
Blogger Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

this looks so cute & delicious! i'm saving the recipe, thanks for sharing! :)

February 15, 2009 at 2:08 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I made these, but they made way more than 12, more like 21. Also I substituted sugar water for agave nectar since I forgot to buy it, and they turned out great. Super delicious. I'd like to try it with greased muffin tins, since they stick to the paper a lot, and maybe put some cream cheese tastiness in the middle as well as on top.

February 15, 2009 at 10:15 PM  
Blogger alyson. said...

hi Amy, were you using tiny cupcake pans? I had to stretch mine to make 12. maybe since you used sugar water? or maybe when I made them, I forgot something! :) either way, they turned out amazing, right?

February 16, 2009 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger Coco Cake Land said...

yummm! looks lovely! just found your blog(s) through a major link labyrinth. glad i did! :)

February 20, 2009 at 11:27 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

I love chocolate and cream cheese together. Looks wonderful!

February 21, 2009 at 12:32 PM  
Blogger Lyssa said...

These look fantastic! I have been thinking about trying to cook with agave nectar - this may be the perfect recipe to start with! Did you notice any flavor difference with it?

February 23, 2009 at 8:50 PM  
Blogger alyson. said...

hi Lyssa - I have not noticed much flavor difference, however, this cupcake recipe is quite sweet as it is, so you don't really notice the difference. I have baked muffins in which they are noticeably less sweet, but I kind of like them that way.

February 23, 2009 at 8:57 PM  
Blogger Sherry said...

I'm hiding these from my family. I used brown rice syrup, which I love to bake with, instead of the agave nectar and it worked really well.

February 25, 2009 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger erin said...

yum! i'm baking cupcakes this weekend too! i'll have to try these ones next time.

February 28, 2009 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Cannelle Et Vanille said...

i love this photo alyson. so soft and colorful!

March 12, 2009 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

These look like heaven on a plate and I would like to eat the be-jesus out of them.
Thankyou for the music!

March 17, 2009 at 8:54 AM  
Blogger MissKarenAshley said...

oh my gosh those look delicious! Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to try them. YUM!

April 22, 2009 at 11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home